April 17, 2013. Good news from Reuters (emphasis is ours): A group of Democratic... Read More »
Why You Need an Experienced Immigration Lawyer
First, let us admit our bias here.
We are immigration attorneys and have a vested interest in being hired.
Our business does not survive without clients.
But the truth is that even a non-immigration lawyer will tell you that if you get a Deportation Notice from the USCIS you should immediately contact an immigration lawyer experienced in deportation cases.
White this may appear obvious to many of you, every day people in this country are faced with deportation and attempt to represent themselves or, even worse, seek the advice of a non-lawyer friend or family member.
Here are 5 reasons why you must hire counsel before appearing in Immigration Court:
- An Experienced Immigration Lawyer Knows the Process – An experienced immigration lawyer understands the process and knows what types of evidence are needed to prevail at trial and how best to present that evidence. In addition, if the attorney is from the area in which your trial will be held, he should know the various judges and have appeared before them.
- An Experienced Immigration Lawyer Knows Your Defenses- A good immigration lawyer, experienced in handling deportation cases, is thoroughly knowledgeable of the many defenses to and waivers of deportation available to you. Many of these defenses and waivers are not readily apparent to laymen or inexperienced lawyers.
- Unrepresented Aliens Almost Always Lose Their Cases- Whether fair or not, the overwhelming number of individuals who represent themselves in immigration court wind up getting deported. Often, this is not because the alien did not have a good case or a valid defense to deportation, but because he or she did not know how to convincingly present that case to the Judge.
- An Experienced Immigration Lawyer Knows How to Appeal Your Case – Even if you do not prevail at trial, you may appeal your case to the Board of Immigration Appeals. The Appeals process is technical and only an experienced lawyer is qualified to navigate it. Many cases are won on appeal.
- An Experienced Immigration Lawyer Knows How to Get you Back Into the U.S. – Even if you lose your case, an experienced lawyer will know how to ensure that you are able to return to America at the earliest possible time under a legal status.